I have been debating on checking out Shudder for some time now. It constantly is popping up in my news feed and friends keep recommending it. I finally decided to look it up and low and behold I could get a free trial for 7 days with my Amazon Prime membership. I wanted to look at what movies they had to offer and to my surprise, a film I have been dying to see for several years now was just a click away. That movie is 2010’s Dream Home. Awhile back I had read this was one of the most disturbing movies with some insanely epic kills of all time. Obviously, that had me sold, so I started my free trial and watched the movie I had dreamed about viewing oh so long ago. Was this film everything I hoped? Is Shudder where some of the good horror movies are hidden at? Let’s discuss!
“Cheng Lai-Sheung is a young, upwardly mobile professional finally ready to invest in her first home. But when the deal falls through, she is forced to keep her dream alive – even if it means keeping her would-be neighbors dead.”
Dream Home was directed and co-written by Pang Ho-cheung and is considered to be a Hong Kong Slasher. It has a 74% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a 6.7 out of 10 on IMDB.com. The film stars Josie Ho and can I just say what a hell of a time for me to watch this film as we are celebrating Women in Horror this month? It was a perfect choice and I had such a great time with it. A great female lead, a fun slasher with a unique storyline, and epic kill scenes.
Before I go any further, I must say Josie Ho completely blew me away. She won the Best Actress Award at the Sitges Film Festival and it is clearly well deserved! She was a ruthless and phenomenal antagonist and once again proving that women can kick ass horror beyond being a victim or running away with from the boogeyman.
Sounds intriguing so far, huh? I’m going to give you My Top 5 Reasons on why you should watch Dream Home as soon as possible and also why it’s a great film to celebrate Women in Horror Month. If you still aren’t convinced after my list, then you’re crazy. Not really… well maybe a little.
- Josie Ho, Josie Ho, Josie Ho!!! It is always refreshing to see a female slasher. Call me crazy but it’s fun, unique, and offers something different! I would seriously put her up there with the classic slashers including Felissa Rose (Sleepaway Camp) and Betsy Palmer (Friday the 13th).
- The kill scenes are jaw dropping! She takes random household items and makes them into very obscure kill scenes. Some scenes may not be for the faint heart and one scene may even make you shut it off. That’s what makes this film so great, though, because it pushes the bar and takes the slasher genre to the next level.
- If subtitles turn you off, no worries because you don’t have to rely heavily on them. The action on the screen is by far enough to keep you entertained throughout the whole hour and a half runtime.
- t takes a basic situation and turns it into something so crazy. You won’t believe what happens, but then again it is based on a true story so I see where they got their inspiration. a movie. Let’s just say for once I’m glad I don’t live in a high-cost apartment with a sea view.
- You say that you’ve seen everything? Well, I can promise you that you haven’t seen this one yet. It’s a bloody mess but in the best way possible.
Dream Home is a must see for any true horror fan! I’m so glad I finally got to watch it! Josie Ho’s performance as the Female Fatale is impeccable and I am happy that I can write this review and honor her this month as it is much deserved. I am also thrilled that I can recommend this movie and give it some more word of mouth to those who may have never heard of it! Right now I “shudder” to think that I even questioned getting the streaming service Shudder, because without it I would have never seen this slasher masterpiece. It is absolutely worth it and has a wide selection of horror films for everyone to enjoy! Dream Home is certainly a gorehound’s dream!